Monday, June 18, 2012

Yoga as training



I had a friend named Larry Teeters when I was six. I still remember him and his younger brother Roland. If there was trouble to be had they would have it first and best. They were fast and tough in ways the neighborhood kids came to assume was typical of Swedes, as they and their immigrant parents were the only we had known. So it was hard to believe when Larry's father, who closely resembled Burgess Meredith, enrolled Larry in ballet classes. "He thinks it will make me a better Boxer," Larry explained. None of us understood this or why, for that matter, he would go public with such information. But we liked Larry so we just let it go. I never saw Larry Box, but I did see him perform ballet. There he was in tights, bouncing around on stage with a bunch of girls. I kept thinking it would turn into boxing at some point, like a hockey game, but it didn't. I felt bad for Larry, who looked as though he was fully engaged in feeling bad for himself. 
Then Roland saved the day! He had somehow slipped away from his parents and entered stage right. With arms stretched out wide in a mock ballet pose, Roland crossed to center stage, leaping and kicking at the air until he fell on his can. All the while his face displayed the elation of a human acting out the best idea he has ever had.


I think about Larry Teeters most Wednesday evenings these days. That is when I go to Yoga class. I am learning Yoga because I believe it will make me a better Mountain Climber. This was highly recommended in the training guide for the Carstensz climb. Specifically, the guide recommended "Hot Yoga." I suppose this makes sense in the context of needing greater flexibility for the jungle trek and also preparing one for the equatorial heat we will encounter in July. But, having no prior Yoga experience, I thought it best if I start off at room temperature. Flexibility has always been a challenge for me . The last time I touched my toes was in the womb. My "Downward Dog" pose looks more like a "Downward Lizard". But I enjoy the change of pace, and Lin joins me in the classes. We go out for ice cream afterwards. The thought of ice cream helps me get through those complicated poses where my leg is trembling and I find myself asking "where is Roland when you need him?"

1 comment:

  1. Dave,
    Your taking yoga classes for the climb reminds me of a joke I read:
    This fellow was climbing a mountain when suddenly he slipped. He grabbed a rock and was hanging over a long drop. After several minutes, he was feeling exhausted. He looked up to the heavens and cried out: "God, please, help me."
    Suddenly the clouds parted and a deep voice resounded, "Let Go!"
    The guy paused and looked up at heaven once more, and asked: "Is there anyone else up there?"
    Rick

    ReplyDelete