Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Rock Wall Training


Carstensz is not so much a mountain climb as it is a long trek with a 3,500 foot rock climb in the middle. When I say "rock climb" I mean near vertical inclines, ropes, harnesses, and anchored protection. This is one of the challenges I have spent much time preparing for over the last many weeks. Recognizing my complete lack of skills in rock climbing, I enlisted the help of my good friend David Hutchinson (pictured above). Each Tuesday night we met at the YMCA climbing wall for 2 hours of 1 on 1 instruction. 



David has been rock climbing for over 40 years. He is a rock-monkey, a climbing artist and can probably crack walnuts with his bare hands. In the picture below his hand is on the left. Look at that paw. Compare it to my smooth soft desk-jockey hand. 




When we first started working on my climbing technique I was all will and no skill. Halfway up the wall I would scream "Narf" and peel off into space, hanging by my harness, defeated and panting. But David taught me how to read a route, when to rest and how to hang from my skeletal structure instead of by muscles. He taught me to use parts of the rock and parts of my body that I would not have thought of. He was patient, encouraging, and just a cool Dude to hang out with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment