Sunday, September 30, 2012

The Summit!


On the Summit. (top row from left: Ivan, Jaimie, Carol, Pal, Dave, Denis. Kneeling: Dan, Raymond)

We could see the summit from where Denis and I sat. It was no more than five minutes away. Just a bit more ridge, then a steep scramble up about 20 feet. I could see colored flags draped over an ice axe wedged into the peak. This was it. We were going to summit. I felt tears welling up in my eyes and pushed them back. One blurry-eyed stumble is all it would take in a place like this. Better I should keep my edge a bit longer.

The Team had come together now and Dan called out for us to press on. He and Carol were the last two Climbers in the Que.  Denis and I stood up and, he in the lead, began picking our way along the ridge. We arrived at the base of the small rise leading to the summit. It was ten steps away now. Then Denis stopped. "Do you think we should let Carol summit first," he asked. "Absolutely," I answered. We each took a seat on the rocky incline, leaving an isle between us. Without discussion, each subsequent Team member likewise sat down until we had formed a path for Carol to walk up. I turned on my helmet camera to capture the moment. Click on the link below to see that video. I have uploaded  it to YouTube.


Carol Masheter tags the last of the Seven Summits
This would turn out to be the most rewarding moment of the expedition for me. Having gotten to know Carol quite well, I knew of the hardships she had endured in life; failed relationships, career obstacles, health issues and an unceasing hunger "to do something remarkable." In the course of the trek I had watched Carol fall to the ground countless times, always picking herself back up without complaint. I had seen her unable to hold down nourishment, unable to carry her pack. Yet Carol never quit. I do not recall even hearing the notion discussed. She was one master-stroke away from completing her life's work and the energy to do so seemed to come from places and times far far away. Carol returned our respects, fist-bumping each Team member as she walked between us. Then, two steps from the summit, she was overcome with emotion, unable to continue until Denis comforted her. Carol then climbed atop the peak and, as is her custom, let out an enthusiastic "Silver Fox" howl. It was an immense honor to be present for such a moment.

We each took our turn standing on the summit for photos. I carry a picture of my Mom, another of Lin, and another of my Boys each time I leave for a summit. I hold each up for a summit photo. I also like to bring along a photo of a friend or acquaintance whom I feel a strong connection with relative to the mountain.  That person on this climb was Joe Luzzi, who suddenly passed away earlier this year. Joe was always very interested in my climbing adventures. He asked insightful questions,  offering equal portions of caution and encouragement. I later sent a print of this summit photo to his widow.
Click this link to see a video of my summit moment.
My Moment On the Summit of Carstensz Pyramid

Me and Joe.
I then removed a small plastic bag from the lining of my coat. I had hidden it there in the hopes it would not be discovered by customs, thus prompting difficult questions and or denial of entry ( Human remains in the form of ashes look similar to some controlled substances). I held the bag out over the edge of our summit perch and removed the rubber band, releasing my brother, Danny, to a land he never saw.




2 comments:

  1. I am speachless from the emotions at your making the summit. Congratulations to everyone who accomplished such a remarkable expedition!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave, It was an honor meeting you today. Great blog. Good luck on your next expedition!

    ReplyDelete